Monday, April 28, 2008

The simple life

Although the financial aspects of this adoption have been stressful, we have learned a wonderful thing. We have made a lot of sacrifices: no vacations, very few outings, no uneccessary purchases and buying only what we need each paycheck. Although I can't say I won't look forward to having a little extra money for a vacation or to go to a movie, it is all worth it. I was pretty proud that I only spent about $200 on groceries for 2 weeks as opposed to the $280 or $325 we normally spent. I was hoping the economic stimulus check would come today but it hasn't. I'm calling everyone I know to see if they got theirs yet because we are so anxious to get it!

I spoke to adoption agency today and they want everything ready to go to Vietnam in June so it has time to be certified and authenticated before the July 1st deadline when no new applications will be accepted. We hare going to have our final home study visit on May 6th and hope it will be completed soon after that.

We are going to file our I-600A on Friday with Homeland Security to get permission to adopt a forign born orphan. This is just a formality, but costs $830. Once that is approved, we will receive the I-700 which gives us permission to adopt him. I hope that part goes fast too because it needs to go with dossier.

No comments: